Dr. Norman D. Livergood
Consulting Philosophy is based on new concepts, perspectives, and procedures which I have developed through my study of philosophy, religion, psychology, political-economic-social dynamics, artificial intelligence, and in my pursuit of discernment through assimilation of the Perennial Tradition. 1
I created Consulting Philosophy in 1968--in a consultancy practice I launched in St. Louis, MO and Belleville, IL and in several articles I published.
A. Group Workshops in Consulting Philosophy
B. Individual sessions in Consulting Philosophy
- Group workshops in Consulting Philosophy, Institute for Rational Living, St. Louis, MO, 1968, 1969
- Group workshop in Consulting Philosophy, Institute for Rational Living, New York, NY, 1968
C. Published articles on Consulting Philosophy:
- At the Institute for Rational Living, St. Louis, MO, 1968, 1969
- At the Busch-McMahon Clinic, Belleville, IL, 1968, 1969
- "Roles People Over-Act in Group Consulting Philosophy," Psychotherapy, May, 1968
- "Distinguishing Consulting Philosophy from Psychotherapy," Rational Living,, New York, NY, March, 1969
- "Situational Learning," Humanist Educator, 1977
"This new technique of teaching and learning presents situations which provide the student a certain form of experience that can assist in our self-transformation. Of course the situations do not possess a mechanistic magic; they cannot change us automatically. We must use them in order to explore and transform ourselves. At the same time, however, the form of experience the situations provide can begin to affect us in ways which we may not at first recognize. As we participate in the situational learning experiences, we may find ourselves changing in ways which our old categories and feelings cannot explain."
Norman D. Livergood, "Situational Learning," Humanist Educator, 1977 The Methodology and Objectives of Consulting Philosophy
Consulting Philosophy assists you in:
developing an autonomous self which is able to think and act on its own initiative
- Solving personal problems through dialectical interchange
- Learning to think critically: forming your own personal beliefs by basing them on evidence
- Increasing your self-awareness:
Gaining critical consciousness: learning to perceive social, political, and economic injustice and learning to take progressive action against the oppressive elements of reality
Of, relating to, or characterized by progress; making use of or interested in new ideas, findings, or opportunities; educational theory marked by emphasis on the individual; moving forward or onward; advancing; advocating political change through social improvement; enlightened
Having or showing realization, perception, or knowledge; cognizance, discernment, sensibility; aliveness; being awake; having knowledge of elements not generally known or apparent
Either you think--or else others have to think for you and take power from you, pervert and discipline your natural tastes, civilize and sterilize you." F. Scott Fitzgerald
If the information you provide is suitable, you will be contacted by email for a free intake interview via online chat.
- Consulting Philosophy is not psychotherapy or counseling.
Consulting Philosophy does not attempt to deal with psychological problems or symptoms. Consulting Philosophy does not involve psychotherapy or psychological counseling in any manner. Persons needing such clinical services should seek assistance in one of those areas. Individuals currently involved in a psychological, counseling, psychotherapeutic, or metaphysical regimen are not admitted to consultancy. This includes persons who are involved in any kind of psychological or psychiatric drug regimen (e.g. antidepressants), whether actively undergoing psychotherapy or not.
- Consulting Philosophy is not an academic course in philosophy.
Consulting Philosophy does not involve the review of philosophical or metaphysical material in an academic manner; it deals with the individual who is consulting with the Consulting Philosopher. Individuals accepted for consultancy learn to examine their own beliefs and actions, acquire objectivity through deliberation, develop personal values, and understand ideas which the Consulting Philosophy sessions involve. The emphasis is placed on assimilation, not merely analyzing and theorizing. One of the primary objectives of Consulting Philosophy is radical, personal transformation.
- In my Consulting Philosophy practice I accept only a small number of serious applicants.
- I have no interest in working with large numbers of merely inquisitive or idly curious persons.
- The primary procedure of Consulting Philosophy is dialectical interchange one-on-one either via online Internet chat or in person.
- Consulting Philosophy is fee-based: $75 per hour, advance payment required
Persons wishing to become a client must suitably provide the information identified below to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name, regular mail and email address, age, current occupation, marital status and sexual orientation
- What you feel to be your primary problems, issues, and difficulties
If the intake interview is successful, you will be contacted via email.
Prior to the first session you must submit payment of the fee of $75 and the signed Terms and Conditions, Disclaimer, and Indemnity Agreement via the regular mail address provided.